- All soaps are derived from either plant based oils (Castile soaps) or animal fats combined with a reagent such as potassium or sodium hydroxide. This process of combining oils or fats with a reagent is called saponification, none of the reagent remains in the soap, instead you are left with soap and glycerol.
- True Castile soap is derived from olive oil and this is one of the most ancient soap recipes in the world.
- Our Castile soap is incredibly pure and is made using spray-free New Zealand Extra Virgin Olive Oil. It simultaneously provides a thorough cleanse whilst also hydrating the skin.
- Most modern soaps use chemicals such as lauryl sulphates to create the lather that we have grown accosted to. However, our Castile soap will lather naturally.
- As opposed to modern soaps which tend to dry the skin Castile soap cleanses and protects the dermis thanks to the presence of oleuropein, a compound found in olive oil which is know for its antibacterial effects.
- Our Castile soap is gentle and, once diluted is suitable for those with sensitive skin. It is a good alternative to synthetic detergents as it won’t further exacerbate conditions such as eczema.
- Our Castile contains glyerol which naturally absorbs moisture from the surround air and in doing so hydrates the skin naturally.
- Distilled rain water
- Spray-free New Zealand Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Potassium hydroxide (analytical grade)* no potassium hydroxide remains after saponification into soap and glycerol.
- Foaming Hand Soap
The following dilution is recommended. Add 1/4 cup of Castile Soap to a 250 mL foaming soap bottle and top up with cool distilled water. Invert gently to mix.
Note: The product does not have the same shelf-life when diluted.
- Body Cleanser
Tip a small amount directly onto a wet washcloth. You can also use the foaming soap method for this purpose.
Disposal of packaging
- You’re investing in a container that you can use over and over again. You can send your aluminium container back to us for refill. You’ll receive $1 off the retail price of each when you do this 🙂 Get in touch with [email protected] to find out how to do this.
- For tips about disposing of our courier bag check out our postage and packaging page here.